New version of the SMA Simple Spectrum Software available and some bad news related with Google Maps!

Hi,

After quite some time, I once again updated the SMA Simple Spectrum Analyser software.

No big changes, only minor bug fixes and some GUI enhancements.

But unfortunately I did notice that Google changed their Google Maps API to v3 and is discontinuing V2. This has some consequences for my software, see yourself:


The problem is that you need to have an "API key" with Google, to enable embedded Google Maps:




Basically, it is no longer free to use Google Maps in your own applications. This means that the "Log on Maps" funtionality of my software (affects all three versions: SMA/NWT, SSA3000X and CMU200/CRTU) will eventually be disabled or I may find a way that allows the user to put in his own Google Maps key.

Update (20/01/2019):

There are two work-arounds I can think of:

  1. The VMA Simple Spectrum Analyser gets a new configuration group in the setup tab for the user to insert his API key, which should be free for up to 300.000 hits/month (if I correctly understood the terms & conditions). I am not 100% sure how to implement this right now, as currently the required HTML template is static and embedded in the main executable.
  2. I could try to switch to Open Street Maps, which is a concurrent open source project (https://www.openstreetmap.org). This requires me to learn how to interface their API. Also, OSM does not include satellite images - only plain maps.
Let's see what I manage to do.

Is anyone actually using this feature of my software? Let me know!

If you don't even know what I am talking about: you can record a live spectrum with GPS and TIME staps on it.

Then you can replay this recorded spectrum in the office and select a given frequency to be stored in a separate log file, together with the respective GPS and TIME staps.

Finally, you can render this log file on a live map (currently Google Maps) and have the transmission power rendered as colored squares.

This is useful to determine reception maps, i.e. of your local DVB-T or WIFI provider.

Regards,
Vitor

Comments

  1. Hi Vitor,
    I'v just bought a "35M-4.4G USB SMA Signal Source Generator Simple Spectrum Analyzer"
    And I believe it uses your software (I may need some clarification on this)
    I'v downloaded "VMA Simple Spectrum Analyser for CRTU" and would like to register via email but cannot locate the email address to do this.
    Hope to hear from you soon.
    Rob (2E0RPT)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts