Alexander Wiese - TELE-satellite

 Hello,

It is with great sadness that I inform that my good friend Alexander Wiese died on December 9th.

Many know him as the publisher of TELE-satellite/TELE-audiovision.

The magazines are available online here:
http://www.tele-audiovision.com/


His magazine brought satellite television to people around the world. Its transponder lists were unique in a pre-internet era. These made it possible to receive the desired transponders and channels at all.

To do this, he operated several computers, each with several satellite cards and specially developed software that cyclically scanned all satellites 24/7/365 to find the transponders. Doesn't sound that special anymore in 2022, but it was something great back then - practically like Lyngsat on its own before Lyngsat existed...

Even if it may not seem so earth-shattering to us Western Europeans (although it was), one should not forget people in distant regions who were first informed about the technology used by the magazine. In addition, the many advertisements from manufacturers and distributors that made it possible to purchase the required components.

A special section in TELE-satellite was the system presentation: DXers from all over the world "applied" and Alex visited them! I remember the DXer somewhere in deep Turkey (if I'm not mistaken) forming the dishes out of the lids of pots!

Despite his success, Alex was a very approachable person, willing to listen, give advice, encourage others, and he had a lot to share.

As a pragmatic person, he realized in 2015 that his magazine, like most print media, no longer had a future and rationally decided to end it. This may sound simple, but one rarely finds such examples: far more often people cling to their life's work and perish with it. Not like Alex. He closed it and from then on devoted himself to stock trading and crypto currencies. When I asked him about this sometime after the end of the magazine, he simply said, "I'm not interested in that anymore, I'm now doing something else."

Alex entrusted me with his magazine and what was left of it. Basically, as an administrator. I have many ancient notebooks from times before satellite reception. I even have the original Adobe Publisher projects from many of the more recent releases. Unfortunately, I don't really know what interest there is in it. I would like to hear ideas on this.

In any case, I miss Alex a lot as a friend.

Kind regards,

Vitor

Comments

Popular Posts